Monday, 4 July 2011

Week 11 at CME

I have been very busy with workshops this week. On Tuesday I went to a Short Breaks workshop for children with complex needs. Because I had already been to one of these I found it very easy to turn up and start getting on with setting up, and working with participants etc. and as usual the day went fairly smoothly and the participants enjoyed it.
The day after I went to a new workshop for me called Rockestra. This workshop was for 7 – 12 year olds wanting to learn about creating music with others. This particular workshop was quite structured compared to other ones I had been to and there was already a plan for the whole day before the students got there. (Normally they are based on what the participants want to do when they arrive). The plan was basically to get everyone in the room to come up with a piece of music and to perform it at the end of the day (a sort of rock – orchestra). At the end of the day we achieved this and the participants performed it. I particularly enjoyed this workshop as being in rock bands is one of my favourite things about being into music so this was very much my sort of thing.
On Friday we did a similar kind of workshop but for older students (aged 12 – 18). With this workshop we split the participants into two bands and got them each to write a piece of music between them to be performed at the end of the day. The day went fairly smoothly and we gave help and advice at some points but they managed to come up with two good pieces of music by themselves and successfully performed it. Another pleasant surprise earlier in the day was when we were doing rhythm exercises in a large group and everyone managed to play a complex rhythm in 7/4 which normally takes people quite a while to pick up that sort of thing.
I have enjoyed this week very much particularly the Rockestra and Rock School workshops. I have had lots of things to do and keep me busy so the week has gone by really quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment