Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Billy's Future Job's Blog - Week 2

Working at Community Music East – Week 2
I have just completed my second week at CME and I am still enjoying it. I am also getting a better sense of everything that goes on. On the first day I had to copy some DVDs and put the labels on for promotional use. I also did some more of updating the contacts database. 
The day after I observed the learning foundation workshop in the first half of the day. I got more involved talking to everyone about what they were doing etc. Here are some of the pictures of the workshop taking place....





Later that day I went to a primary school to observe a workshop. In this workshop, the children were split into different groups and each had to come up with their own piece of music with the help of a tutor. At the end of the day they each performed their piece to the rest of the school. This was interesting to watch and you could tell all the kids really enjoyed it. The next day involved updating the contacts database, going into town to get equipment, and fixing a couple of guitars, which I really enjoyed as I like working with guitars.  We also made a new song on Garage Band which we made a video for. Here is the video...


On Friday I went to an event at the Arts Centre which was called “A crash course in the music industry”. I found this very interesting and helpful in understanding certain things. Although I had already learnt some of it at Access to Music when I attended there I also learnt a lot of new things and it was good to be reminded of some things. For example, one thing which I should have done a long time ago was to register with the PRS. If I had done this then I could have earned a lot more money with the gigs I have played.
The day started off with learning about copyrights and royalty collection companies and things like that, then it moved on to how to make money out of music, and then finally it went on promoting with social media with sites like Facebook and MySpace, talking to fans, and building up a fan base (which sites are best for different reasons and how to use them optimally).
Overall I have very much enjoyed my second week working at CME, especially attending the course on Friday, which I found very informative and helpful, and am looking forward to the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment